UW-L Alumni Band Events
Whatever the season there is a performance waiting to happen. If you haven't joined the Alumni Band lately or want to join up for more fun here is the tentative upcoming Schedule of Events:
Upcoming Performances in 2018!!
- Oktoberfest Maple Leaf Parade - Saturday, September 29
- Shriner Christmas Gig - Saturday, December 1 at the Radisson in La Crosse, then possible Rotary Lights Christmas Caroling
Oktoberfest in La Crosse - Saturday, September 29
PARADE LINE UP TIME IS AGAIN 9:45 AMBe aware that we are marching at the beginning of the parade and our lineup time is approximately 9:45 a.m. - don't be late!
As a reminder, starting two years ago we changed our tshirt policy and are not purchasing tshirts for band members at the Maple Leaf. UWL is helping us by creating a web portal that allows you to buy your choice of Alumni Band shirt online! Please choose a shirt, either mens or womens and enter your information there. You’ll be able to pickup your shirt Friday night at rehearsal. As always, you may choose to wear the maroon shirt given to all members at the 2016 Maple Leaf and we have a limited supply of those shirt available for $10 as a backup. We are using the same shirts for Germanfest and June Dairy Days this year and it has proven to be a fine choice. The link for ordering shirts is https://www.uwlax.edu/alumni/events/alumni-band-shirts/
OKTOBERFEST WEEKEND EVENTS - please watch for updates as our schedule has CHANGED!
Tapping of the Golden Keg, Friday, September 29The folks at Oktoberfest would love it if we can put together a small band to play before the Golden keg is brought into the crowd - there may be some intermittent playing after the keg is brought onto the fest grounds but there is other entertainment that we shouldn't interfere with. Alumni members playing will receive a day pass to attend. Just remember, rehearsal is later that evening. This is traditionally a very fun event and a wandering group of Alumni Band musicians makes it even better. Prost! There is no Edelweiss Parade. They'll simply bring in the beer wagon at the west gate and tap that keg! Please check back here or the facebook page HERE. If you need a brass instrument for the parade you will need to notify Kris Cvikota, if you need percussion equipment please contact Jeff Hankey, who will line up instruments on a first come, first serve basis. Please see the above note about t-shirts.
Friday night rehearsal - September 28Rehearsal will be at the Cleary Friends & Alumni Center at UW-L. Here is the schedule for the evening:
Music Rotation (to be practiced Friday night):
- Traditional Cadence
- Beer Barrel, chant, On Wisconsin
- Drums & Horse
- Traditional Cadence
- Hey Baby
Drummers! will alternate between the traditional cadence and Funky Junque (pronounced “Junk”). This is a short and sweet cadence that drummers from about 1996-ish and forward should know already. If you haven't been around to learn it, please preview the music prior to Friday night’s rehearsal.
If you are playing on Saturday please plan to be at the Friday night rehearsal. If you need a brass instrument for the parade you will need to notify Kris Cvikota, if you need percussion equipment please contact Jeff Hankey, who will line up instruments on a first come, first serve basis. The Alumni band has some brass and percussion instruments for loan but no woodwinds are available.
- 6:00 - Percussion equipment distribution
- 6:30 - Percussion rehearsal / Brass instruments distribution
- 7:00 - Alumni Social Time
- 7:30 - Announcements
- 7:45 - Rehearsal
- Music is located here if you need it.
Saturday - September 29
- Where and When? - Our Saturday morning meeting place is in the same location - at 'Pogreba'. Pogrebas will be open at 8am! PARADE LINE UP TIME CHANGED TO 9:45 AM. Pogreba is located on the corner of Clinton Street and Avon - address: 1232 Avon St, La Crosse, 54602. We will be stepping off by 10:15 AM so get there early!
- Equipment Loaners - Brass and Percussion! The equipment trailer will only be open and staffed between 8:45-9:45am. If you need to pick up a loaner instrument that you have previously contacted someone about, please look for the blue pickup across Avon Street from Pogy's or on Clinton Street closer to Rose Street (closer to the parade route). In addition, if you are borrowing the band’s equipment, we encourage you to donate to the equipment maintenance fund. If you do not get your loaner instrument during this time you may not get it.
- T-shirts - please see note above regarding tshirts, orders, and tshirt pickup time on Friday
- Parade starts at 10:00
- Be aware that our lineup time has moved up to the front of the parade - don't be late!
- NO LITTERING! If you have garbage please walk over to someone on the side of the road and ask them if they have a garbage and if they can take care of it for you. Do not leave garbage in the road. No throwing.
- If alumni marchers are not adhering to these rules you will not be welcome to march again in the future.
- Entertainment follows the parade at Stolpa's Stein Haus on Jay Street between 3rd and 4th streets where Mark Parker and friends play for our post parade entertainment from 1-5pm. Food is available and wristbands for access to the keg of beer for Alumni Band members only are $10.
Shriners Event Performance - Saturday, December 1
The Shriners have again invited the Alumni Band to play for their convention on Saturday, December 1st in La Crosse. The information for this event will be on the facebook group page:
- Where: Radisson La Crosse - meeting place tbd - watch facebook groups for an announcement or change on the facebook event
- When: Saturday, Dec 1st, meet at 7:00pm, play at 7:30ish (watch for updates on this time on the website and facebook events)
- What: Wear the last Ofest shirt if you have one, or just an Ofest shirt in general, maybe some holiday accents. We are playing our regular tunes, minus the 'funky junque' cadence and minus 'Hey Baby'. If there is enough time we will have some Christmas music there and can possibly work up two of these easy tunes if we can meet right a tad early
- Why: The Shriners banquet
- Who: Any Alumni Band member!
- Event Contact: Drew Kluge or Jim Sowatzke if you can make it with your Name and Instrument. If you need big brass or percussion contact Kris or Jeff
We hope you can join us! UW-L RAH!