UW-L Alumni Band Events
Whatever the season there is a performance waiting to happen. If you haven't joined the Alumni Band lately or want to join up for more fun here is the tentative upcoming Schedule of Events:
- Oktoberfest Maple Leaf Parade - Saturday, September 28
- Shriner Christmas Gig?
Oktoberfest in La Crosse - Saturday, September 28
PARADE LINE UP TIME IS AGAIN 9:45 AMBe aware that we are marching at the beginning of the parade and our lineup time is approximately 9:45 a.m. - don't be late!
Rose Bowl-50 years, Alumni Band-35 years, Poms-10 years
This is a huge year for our alumni group and enough sponsors have donated enough to provide commemorative t-shirts AT NO COST for everyone marching in the Oktoberfest Parade!!
Dry-fit polos & t-shirts: If you want to order one of the dry fit polos or dry fit t-shirts you can click here to purchase on the Alumni Association website but must do so by September 9th. These orders will be available for pickup on Friday or Saturday of Fest.
OKTOBERFEST WEEKEND EVENTS - please watch for updates
Tapping of the Golden Keg, Friday, September 27The folks at Oktoberfest would love it if we can put together a small band to play before the Golden keg is brought into the crowd - there may be some intermittent playing after the keg is brought onto the fest grounds but there is other entertainment that we shouldn't interfere with. Alumni members playing will receive a day pass to attend. Just remember, rehearsal is later that evening. This is traditionally a very fun event and a wandering group of Alumni Band musicians makes it even better. Prost! There is no Edelweiss Parade. They'll simply bring in the beer wagon at the west gate and tap that keg! Please check back here or the facebook page HERE. If you need a brass instrument for the parade you will need to notify Kris Cvikota, if you need percussion equipment please contact Jeff Hankey, who will line up instruments on a first come, first serve basis. Please see the above note about t-shirts.
Friday night rehearsal - September 27Rehearsal will be at the Cleary Friends & Alumni Center at UW-L. Here is the schedule:
Music Rotation (to be practiced Friday night):
- Traditional Cadence
- Beer Barrel, chant, On Wisconsin
- Drums & Horse
- Traditional Cadence
- Hey Baby
Drummers! will alternate between the traditional cadence and Funky Junque (pronounced “Junk”). This is a short and sweet cadence that drummers from about 1996-ish and forward should know already. If you haven't been around to learn it, please preview the music prior to Friday night’s rehearsal.
If you are playing on Saturday please plan to be at the Friday night rehearsal. If you need a brass instrument for the parade you will need to notify Kris Cvikota, if you need percussion equipment please contact Jeff Hankey, who will line up instruments on a first come, first serve basis. The Alumni band has some brass and percussion instruments for loan but no woodwinds are available.
- 6:00 - Percussion equipment distribution
- 6:30 - Percussion rehearsal / Brass instruments distribution
- 7:00 - Alumni Social Time
- 7:30 - Announcements
- 7:45 - Rehearsal
- Music is located here if you need it.
Saturday - September 28
- Where and When? - Our Saturday morning meeting place is in the same location - at 'Pogreba'. Pogrebas will be open at 8am! PARADE LINE UP TIME CHANGED TO 9:45 AM. Pogreba is located on the corner of Clinton Street and Avon - address: 1232 Avon St, La Crosse, 54602. We will be stepping off by 10:15 AM so get there early!
- Equipment Loaners - Brass and Percussion! The equipment trailer will only be open and staffed between 8:45-9:45am. If you need to pick up a loaner instrument that you have previously contacted someone about, please look for the blue pickup across Avon Street from Pogy's or on Clinton Street closer to Rose Street (closer to the parade route). In addition, if you are borrowing the band’s equipment, we encourage you to donate to the equipment maintenance fund. If you do not get your loaner instrument during this time you may not get it.
- T-shirts - please see note above regarding tshirts, orders, and tshirt pickup time on Friday
- Parade starts at 10:00
- Be aware that our lineup time has moved up to the front of the parade - don't be late!
- NO LITTERING! If you have garbage please walk over to someone on the side of the road and ask them if they have a garbage and if they can take care of it for you. Do not leave garbage in the road. No throwing.
- If alumni marchers are not adhering to these rules you will not be welcome to march again in the future.
- Entertainment follows the parade at Stolpa's Stein Haus on Jay Street between 3rd and 4th streets where Mark Parker and friends play for our post parade entertainment from 1-5pm. Food is available and wristbands for access to the keg of beer for Alumni Band members only are $10.
Looking for Alumni Swag?
If you're low on Alumni Band swag, you're in luck. Check out the commemorative Tshirt for this year that celebrates our 35th consecutive season at the Maple Leaf Parade, the 10th anniversary of the Poms joining us and the 50th anniversary of the Marching Chiefs performance at the Rose Bowl! We are also creating 35th anniversary hats (see Dave Blanchard), I've heard there will be a solid supply of drinking gloves (see Kris Cvikota) and cup coozies as well!
We hope you can join us! UW-L RAH!