UW-L Alumni Band Events
Whatever the season there is a performance waiting to happen. If you haven't joined the Alumni Band lately or want to join up for more fun here is the tentative upcoming Schedule of Events:
- Oktoberfest Maple Leaf Parade - Saturday, October 2
- Shriner Christmas Gig?
Calling all UW-L Alumni Band Members!
ARE YOU READY FOR OKTOBERFEST?
PARADE LINE UP TIME IS AT 9:45 AM
Welcome back to Oktoberfest!
After a long awaited break we are BACK! We do have some changes, please note the change in the Friday Night Rehearsal Venue below.
Brass and Percussion Loaners
Anyone needing brass please email Kris, anyone needing percussion please email Jeff or Eric. Please warn us at least 3 days prior to the parade, we load the trailer on Wednesday night. If you don't put in your loan request by Wednesday you probably will not have an instrument. Thank you.
Oktoberfest 2021 Events
Tapping of the Golden Keg, Friday, October 1
Friday brings the Tapping of the Golden Keg early in the day. Always a good time. If folks feel like playing, they're always welcome to do so, however we have no commitment for entry tickets or buttons. Please check the facebook page to see if anyone is interested - this is an 'on your own' event. If you need a brass instrument for the parade you will need to notify Kris Cvikota, if you need percussion equipment please contact either Jeff Hankey or Eric Miller, who will line up instruments on a first come, first serve basis. Please wear our 'regular' tshirts.
FRIDAY NIGHT VENUE CHANGE - October 1
Friday evening we will rehearse at Riverside Park. Current protocols in place at UWL have prompted us to consider another venue for rehearsal, given the size of our group. You may recall that the La Crosse Community, ourselves included, donated money towards the new Band Shell located in Riverside Park. This Band Shell is now an iconic space for music in the La Crosse area and we have been able to secure this venue for our rehearsal on Friday of Fest! The location comes with lights, there are bathrooms in the park and in the event of rain, it is covered. Parking is available in the park, near the international gardens and on Front Street north of the Charmant Hotel. We'll have electricity and are working on a wifi solution as well.
We can't wait for you to see the Paver we purchased as a way to sponsor this facility and would love to take a group photo in the most beautiful Band Shell on the Mississippi River. Best of all, we'll be serving beverages and will be able to rehearse in one of the most gorgeous settings in all of La Crosse. We believe the Community will be interested in hearing a preview of the Maple Leaf and we may just draw a crowd. Please be sure to take a selfie with our UWL Alumni Band paver, located onsite!
That said, introducing change is sometimes a challenge. But there's one thing we know about this Band.......we know how to persevere. So while not a perfect solution, help us make it an awesome rehearsal by arriving promptly (maybe a little early because of parking?) so we can rehearse before dark and bring your part to SWEET CAROLINE.
PS - We're also working to get the SEMB Drumline to join us as well. Prost!
Here is the tentative schedule for the evening:
- 5:45 - Instrument distribution - look for the trailer
- 6:00 - Percussion rehearsal/Social Time
- 6:30 - Meeting/Announcements
- 7:00 - Rehearsal (trying to get this in before dark!)
- 8:00-9:00 - Social and Clean up
- Music is located here if you need it.
Music Rotation (to be practiced Friday night):
- Traditional Cadence
- Beer Barrel, chant, On Wisconsin
- Drums & Horse
- Traditional Cadence
- Sweet Caroline (click for music)
If you are playing on Saturday please plan to be at the Friday night rehearsal.
A couple of other items for friday night:
- DATABASE UPDATE! - Make sure you check in and update your info on our member database on Friday night! All the cool kids do.
- T-SHIRTS! - If you know you need a tshirt please contact Lisa Butterfield with your need and size. We are using our inventory of current shirts and want to make sure we have enough for all. Your first tshirt was free - all after are $10. Pony up!
- QUILTS! - we have some wonderful Alumni Band t-shirt quilts that were made by our own Marti Biegler up for raffle or 'chance' - check it out when you get there on Friday! Proceeds to go towards the purchase of new flags and poles for the colorguard. Two different quilts are up for grabs with different year tshirts on them.
- PILLOWS! - Also up for grabs are some Alumni t-shirt pillows. Cuddle up with your favorite band every night!
- BEER! - Friday night, served up by none other than our favorite retired fireman Dale. Ladies, he is taken ...
- DRINKING GLOVES! - who doesn't have one yet? Check it out at the prizes table.
Saturday Oktoberfest Parade - October 2
- Where and When? - Our Saturday morning meeting place is at 'Pogreba' which opens at 8:00am. Pogreba is located on the corner of Clinton Street and Avon - address: 1232 Avon St, La Crosse, 54602. Drinks will be available at 8am as well as brats for purchase (no free brats this year).
- Equipment Loaners - Brass and Percussion! The equipment trailer will only be open and staffed for a short time from 8:30-9:30 in the morning. We step off early and will be locking up the trailer to move. If you can't get your loaner have someone grab it for you. If you need to pick up a loaner instrument that you have previously contacted someone about, please look for the blue pickup across Avon Street from Pogy's or ask for Kris. In addition, if you are borrowing the band’s equipment, we encourage you to donate to the equipment maintenance fund. If you do not get your loaner instrument during this time you may not get it.
- T-shirts - please see note from Friday night rehearsal regarding tshirts
- Parade starts at 10:00
- Be aware that our lineup time for front of the parade is approximately 9:45 - don't be late!
- GROUP PHOTO WITH UW-L SCREAMING EAGLES - If we can meet early enough we can play with the UW-L Band and get our big group picture.
- NO LITTERING! If you have garbage please walk over to someone on the side of the road and ask them if they have a garbage and if they can take care of it for you. Do not leave garbage in the road.
- If alumni marchers are not adhering to these rules you will not be welcome to march again in the future.
- Entertainment follows the parade at "Fat Head Steve's" (the bar previously known as Stolpa's Stein Haus) on Jay Street between 3rd and 4th streets where Mark Parker and friends play for our post parade entertainment from 1-5pm. Food is available and wristbands for access to the keg of beer for Alumni Band members only are $10.
We hope you can join us! UW-L RAH!