UW-L Alumni Band Events
PARADE LINE UP TIME CHANGED TO 9:45 AMBe aware that we are marching at the beginning of the parade and our lineup time has moved up to approximately 9:45 a.m. - don't be late!
(now that we have your attention, not a joke by the way ...)
As a reminder, 2017 is the first year we won't be purchasing and distributing t-shirts for band members at the Maple Leaf. UWL is helping us by creating a web portal that allows you to buy your choice of Alumni Band shirt online! Please choose a shirt, either mens or womens and enter your information there. You’ll be able to pickup your shirt Friday night at rehearsal. As always, you may choose to wear the maroon shirt given to all members at the 2016 Maple Leaf and we have a limited supply of those shirt available for $10 as a backup. We’ve done the same now for Germanfest and June Dairy Days this year andit has proven to be a fine choice. The address for ordering shirts is https://www.uwlax.edu/alumni/events/alumni-band-shirts/
OKTOBERFEST WEEKEND EVENTS - please watch for updates as our schedule has CHANGED!
Music for Packer game, Thursday night, September 28- On the southside pending the right instrumentation, details coming, please check back here or the facebook page HERE. If you need a brass instrument for the parade you will need to notify Kris Cvikota, if you need percussion equipment please contact Jeff Hankey, who will line up instruments on a first come, first serve basis. Please see the above note about tshirts, or view this page for the change in shirt plans as of this year.
Tapping of the Golden Keg, Friday, September 29- Details coming, please check back here or the facebook page HERE. If you need a brass instrument for the parade you will need to notify Kris Cvikota, if you need percussion equipment please contact Jeff Hankey, who will line up instruments on a first come, first serve basis. Please see the above note about tshirts, or view this page for the change in shirt plans as of this year.
Friday night rehearsal - September 29Rehearsal will be at the Cleary Friends & Alumni Center at UW-L. Here is the schedule for the evening:
- 6:00 - Percussion equipment distribution
- 6:30 - Percussion rehearsal / Brass instruments distribution
- 7:00 - Alumni Social Time
- 7:30 - Announcements
- 7:45 - Rehearsal
- Music is located here if you need it.
Music Rotation (to be practiced Friday night):
- Traditional Cadence
- Beer Barrel, chant, On Wisconsin
- Drums & Horse
- Traditional Cadence
- Hey Baby
Drummers! will alternate between the traditional cadence and Funky Junque (pronounced “Junk”). This is a short and sweet cadence that drummers from about 1996-ish and forward should know already. If you haven't been around to learn it, please preview the music prior to Friday night’s rehearsal.
If you are playing on Saturday please plan to be at the Friday night rehearsal - that is the only time we are handing out t-shirts and selling wristbands. If you need a brass instrument for the parade you will need to notify Kris Cvikota, if you need percussion equipment please contact Jeff Hankey, who will line up instruments on a first come, first serve basis. The Alumni band has some brass and percussion instruments for loan but no woodwinds are available.
Saturday - September 30
- Where and When? - Our Saturday morning meeting place is in the same location - at 'Pogreba'. Please watch for updates on Pogrebas opening time since we have a time change in regards to our lineup (we think it will be around 8am). PARADE LINE UP TIME CHANGED TO 9:45 AM. Pogreba is located on the corner of Clinton Street and Avon - address: 1232 Avon St, La Crosse, 54602. We will be stepping off by 10:15 AM so get there early!
- Equipment Loaners - Brass and Percussion! The equipment trailer will only be open and staffed for a short time in the morning. We will post these times asap on the website and the facebook page.. If you need to pick up a loaner instrument that you have previously contacted someone about, please look for the blue pickup across Avon Street from Pogy's or ask for Kris. In addition, if you are borrowing the band’s equipment, we encourage you to donate to the equipment maintenance fund. If you do not get your loaner instrument during this time you may not get it, we do not plan on staffing the trailer for instrument checkout for 3 hours before the parade.
- T-shirts - please see note above regarding tshirts, orders, and tshirt pickup time on Friday
- Parade starts at 10:00
- Be aware that our lineup time has moved up to the front of the parade - don't be late!
- NO LITTERING! If you have garbage please walk over to someone on the side of the road and ask them if they have a garbage and if they can take care of it for you. Do not leave garbage in the road. No throwing.
- If alumni marchers are not adhering to these rules you will not be welcome to march again in the future.
- Entertainment follows the parade at Stolpa's Stein Haus on Jay Street between 3rd and 4th streets where Mark Parker and friends play for our post parade entertainment from 1-5pm. Food is available and wristbands for access to the keg of beer for Alumni Band members only are $10.